Thursday, April 16, 2009

HUGO CABRET

When I first looked at this book, I thought I would never have the time to read it, and I didn't even know what it was about. However, once I began reading, I found that I couldn't put it down and had read/looked at over 100 pages. This book is so unique with its text, drawings and still photographs. To add to the appeal of this book, the story line is captivating. The author has captured the power of a mystery novel. Not only is this book fun to read, it is also based off of true events, which make it even more wonderful. I think this book could help students find a hobby in film or magic, given the interesting story told here. I really enjoyed how the author would tell a chapter in the "past" but wouldn't clarify that, and the reader had to figure it out on their own. I never knew what to expect while reading; the unique text layouts varied from full pages to paragraphs. I think this book would appeal equally to both genders because a young boy is the main character, but his "side-kick" is a mysterious girl. Overall, I would gladly recommend this book to any school aged child, or anyone looking for a quick, riveting, and enjoyable read, regardless of age. :)

2 comments:

  1. yeah i felt the same way... the book is like 3 inches thick and i didn't even want to begin... but I too started reading it and it's really cool how there are just as many picture-pages as word-pages, and they too tell important parts of the story, without having the text say it which is really cool.... and all of a sudden i was also over 100 pages in and couldn't believe it. This book is a very different style than anything i've ever read before so i'm really enjoying it... i just really like also how the pictures are rough hand-drawn sketches as opposed to full out color illustrations... i think that's really unique and also holds significance to the sketches of Hugo's notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too really liked this book. It is definitely unique in the way it uses both text and illustratoins so strongly. I really liked the parts where the story would be told entirely through the pictures. The beginning was really cool where it looked like the camera was zooming in on the train station and then on Hugo. Also, as it zoomed in, the pictures got bigger and bigger, which was also interesting. I also loved the way the book used pictures of all different kinds. Some were hand drawn illustrations, some were movie stills, some were old photographs, and some were more Georges's more abstract drawings. I actually found myself taking the time to look at the pictures rather than just flying through them. And the story line was really interesting because it had an old-fashioned feel to it but is still relevant for kids today because of Hugo's sense of adventure and curiosity. I really liked this book!

    ReplyDelete