Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bookstore and Library Visit

I really liked this project. I went to my hometown to complete this project. The children's section of the library had been redone since I had last been there (which I suppose was when I was younger and reading books from that section). First of all the children's section has its own floor, sure it is the basement but it gives kids their own space in the library. When you go down the stairs you can either turn left or turn right. If you go to the left you are in the main part of the children's section. I was blown away by how big and nice it was. They had about 20 computers for children to use, which I thought was pretty cool. This gives kids who don't have the resouces at home to use a computer. The thing I was most impressed with was that they had a little section for parents, teachers, and other professionals. I thought it was cool that the library had a spot for parents and teachers to find book on helping kids how to read. If you went to the right at the bottom of the stairs you found a room for early readers. This gives younger children their own space. They aren't bothering the older children and all of their books are in one spot. There are also games and toys in there. I loved all the changes to the children's section and kind of wished I was a kid again so I could go there more often.
I was really dissapointed with the bookstore however. I went to the Borders in my hometown and it is about two miles away from the library. The section was really small and seemed like they were more concerned with making money than children actually reading. Which I guess this makes sense, since Borders is a store. I guess from my point of view it is more important that kids are actually reading instead of just playing with toys and games which is what Borders seemed more interested in.
I did enjoy this project though. I liked going to the different locations and thinking about the differences between the two. I concluded with that the library was moreconcerned with providing children with books and computers, while also entertaining them. And the bookstore was more concerned with making money by providing a lot of games and toys. These games and toys were the first thing the child sees and would probably lose interest in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment