Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hugo Cabret= a fun read!

I really liked The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I thought it would be a fun book for young kids who have yet to make the leap into more in depth chapter books to start with Hugo Cabret. When I first encountered the book I thought it was going to take forever to read and I was not very excited about it but once I started it,  I could not put it down. I truly enjoyed the pictures in the book and I thought it made for a fun book to read. I was the intertextual person for our discussion group and the research I found really helped me see the book in another way. I learned the book was meant to be like a silent movie film strip and, also the author and illustrator Brian Selznick of Hugo Cabret has only personally written four books but has illustrated countless books for other authors. I also learned in an interview that he tends to write about things that he is interested in, for example, Selznick originally graduated college with the intent of designing stage displays for the theaters. After he had worked in a children's book store in Manhattan, New York for about three years, he decided he wanted to write his own children's books. Selznick said he had and always will be interested in the film industry and that was how he first decided to write Hugo Cabret. 

No comments:

Post a Comment