Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Poetry

I have never been very fond of poetry. I was one of those kids who only liked it if it rhymed or if it was about something funny and easy to read. My main dislike for poetry came from the fact that I have always been bad at interpreting the meaning or the message behind the words. I always just went along with what everyone else said. Through my schooling, poetry was never a big unit in my English classes so I did not have to deal with it for long,  I was always able to just get by. I do believe that poetry is important in a Language Arts class, but it has to engage the students and relate to them. Students should be taught there are ones that rhyme and ones that do not make very much sense. They should be exposed to all types with lessons that will help them interpret it. I think that the two voices type of poetry is a fun and constructive way for students to connect with poetry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment