Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Poetry Readings

I am not a huge fan of poetry. When I was younger I really enjoyed writing haikus. From the reading, Terry found that it wasn't a favorite among students. This wasn't the case for me. I do agree with the reading in that a student's opinion on poetry comes from how poetry is taught and in what kind of environment. I want to make sure that I really make poetry fun. The reason that I enjoyed haikus so much was because my teacher made haikus fun, and she also had a positive atmospher of haikus. As I began to get older (middle school) my love for poetry declined. My teachers would always have a negative attitude towards it like "I know you don't like it, but we need to do poetry." It became more of a task instead of pleasure. I think it would be a good idea to get students involved in poetry as they have the idea in the book of making scientific poems. This way you have literature intertwined with science. I also never had the chance to read a poem from a book like "Joyful Noise". I really think that the idea of having students read out loud in that kind of rhythm would make poetry a lot more fun! I think that poetry is really important. Poetry does allow students to learn rythm and important literary terms such as alliteration and onomotopeia. These readings made me realize that the environment of poetry is what makes students dislike or like poetry.

1 comment:

  1. Haiku was my favorite form of poetry when I was little too. I think I liked it so much because there was a defined pattern to it. I was obsessive- compulsive as a child so I hated free writing with no rules. I always loved to read poetry even when I was really little. As I got older my love of reading poetry faded because my teachers forced us to analyze poems and look for the right meaning to the words. It took all the fun out of reading.
    I think teachers should foster the love of reading poetry for the sake of enjoyment. If children are allowed to actually enjoy poetry they are more likely to want to write it themselves. I also think teachers should give children options on what type of poems they would like to write. After all, poetry is supposed to be about self expression.

    ReplyDelete