Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Truth about Helen Keller

Not only was Helen Keller a symbol of "hope" for the handicapped, but she was a suffragist and an advocate for many social changes in the United States. I was utterly shocked to hear of the extent of Ms. Keller's life long achievements. I remember learning about her but nothing further than a role model. 
It's interesting to think about, if they have failed to show the hard work that Helen Keller had done for the poor and the suffragists, than what other significant figures in history have they done this too as well. It would be interesting to research even further into this statement and try to find other historical figures who's real personality is shunned out of literature. 

1 comment:

  1. I was also shocked when I found out about the real Helen Keller. I only knew her as the girl who was blind, deaf, and dumb. Helen Keller has always been an inspiration to me. When I was in 3rd grade, I went to Stratford to see the “Miracle Worker,” which was all about Helen Keller. Even in a theater production, the climax moment was always when Annie wrote “water” in Helen’s hand.

    I understand why children’s books might only focus on Helen Keller’s childhood since children are reading these books and they can relate to a younger figure. However, it would be nice to have known the truth and not been lied to about all the great accomplishments she has done. Instead children’s books should emphasize that in spite of her handicap, she was able to make a difference in the world such as by supporting women’s voting and helping out the poor. Danielle, you make a good point wondering what other significant figures in history are hidden from the general public. It would be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete